Million Metre Challenge
The Million Meter Challenge was designed to promote swimming for health and fitness. The program encourages regular participation through tracking of cumulative distance swum as an individual or as a team, and recognition as swimmers reach various milestones. Swimmers record the distance swum in each workout and the system tracks their progress.
- Measure and improve your fitness
- Set goals for training
- Get valuable feedback on your stroke efficiency
- Check progress over the year
- See how you and your club compare to other swimmers across the country.
The Million Metre Challenge program is widely based on the honour system as there is no realistic way to check whether the distances entered were actually swum. No one benefits if participants enter inaccurate data. To make the system useful, fair, and worthwhile, we ask that you adhere to the following rules:
- All participants must be registered with a Masters Swimming Canada Swim Club or with the MSC Challengers.
- The pool must be 25 or 50 metres
- Swimmers can choose Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle, Individual Medley (250m each Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle), Pull, Kick or Kick with fins
- Only distance that was swam after you registered with the system is eligible. Retroactively entering milage you swam before joining the program is not allowed.
- You must enter distances by workout and correctly enter the date on which you swam the workout. Entering a total distance for the week or month is not allowed. One of the goals of the program is to collect statistics on the frequency and duration of workouts for masters swimmers, combining multiple workouts into a single entry invalidates these statistics.
- Distances should be entered into the system within one month of when they were swum.
When they reach a milestone distance, swimmers receive the awards for that distance, which are:
- 100,000 m - a certificate and a swim cap
- 250,000 m and 500,000 m - a certificate, a swim cap and a pin
- 1,000,000 m - A badge, a pin and a swim cap
The awards will be mailed out to clubs, which can then give it to their swimmers.
If you have questions about the MILLION METRE CHALLENGE please contact us